Photographer Ian Cowland discovered one way was to use a mono-pod to lean his camera right over the rails to get this almost literally arresting image. He writes that doing this is “frowned upon by employees of the London Underground” – so much so he was escorted from the premises. Imitation is not recommended. It is, however, a startling photo.
In case anyone was wondering why Wanstead Sauna is closed, a notice now pinned to the door explains:
(Click image to enlarge it.)
thank you staff of wanstead starbucksfor my bday pressies. ps, i do have friends
Ahh what a bit of design can do. For anyone who thought the former New Wanstead pub The British Queen (Gothic font, white on stark black) might feel a bit too earthy, its replacement might seem a bit more palatable. In a relaxed serif font on grey background, Queen’s – British Steak House and Grill.
UPDATE: Dolly Creative tweets in reaction:
@Wansteadium I’m going to call the Heritage Secretary – how dare they get rid of the Old English?
UPDATE 2200: Mark Bentley adds:
new steak house in wanstead. Menu and sourcing policy facts please. This could be a major breakthrough. Any font will do.
• A spectacular traffic snarl-up which stretched from the M11 to Wanstead High Street last Monday meant that legendary West Indian fast bowler Courtney Walsh didn’t make it to Wanstead Cricket Club in time to open new training nets as planned. But all was not lost – fellow legendary West Indian fast bowler Michael Holding was there and stood in for Walsh. (Photo: Dave Buba)
• The application to knock down the 160-year-old building which once housed Wanstead’s only ever cinema, Kinema – now Nam Pham, next to the George, has been rejected again. The plan was for a block of flats.
• A public inquiry into the proposal to develop the former Chepstow House in Leicester Road, Wanstead, has now finished. Report here from the Counties’ Residents’ Association, who oppposed the plan. Decision expected by the end of the month.
• Two council pest control officers denied charges that they deliberately poisoned animals at Alexandra Lake in March. More than 80 birds and a dog died at the lake.
• It appears that Wanstead Sauna is now no longer open for business, with a very large padlock having been put on the door.