Author: Wansteadium


Wanstead’s ‘village’ signs, erected this week, are now in place at either end of Wanstead High Street. For the curious, here is a guide to the symbols on the signs:

1. The coat of arms was previously that of Wanstead and Woodford Borough Council, which was incorporated into Redbridge in 1965, and dates from 1937.

2. The Latin inscription means “By wisdom and courage”

3. The birds (martlets)
and lions on the shield refer to Westminster Abbey and Waltham Abbey, which oversaw Wanstead and Woodford.

4. The trees are a reference to Epping Forest

5. The herons are from the logo of the former Wanstead Urban District Council

6. St Mary The Virgin, Wanstead

7. Christchurch, Wanstead – rather confusingly pictured here as red rather than the actual grey.

8. Wanstead drinking fountain, outside Wanstead Underground station.

9. The horse chestnut leaves refer to Redbridge Borough Council.

(Sources: Civic Heraldry, Ordnance Survey)

Wanstead is the proud owner of a new set of ‘village’ signs, positioned at either end of the High Street.

Wanstead's new 'village' sign
Wanstead's new 'village' sign

New village sign for Wanstead

Post thumbnail

Saturday morning campaigning in Wanstead High StreetIn what will probably become a fixture of Wanstead High Street in coming weeks, both Labour and Conservative prospective parliamentary candidates spent their Saturday mornings with trestle tables and volunteers within feet of each other handing out leaflets. Below are the leaflets they were distributing.