The next phase of Redbridge doing its bit for the climate emergency is to be considered on Monday by the council – and it could mean the wheelie bin pilot being extended across the whole borough.
Other measures recommended in a report to the council include:
- Considering putting solar panels or heat pumps at existing Redbridge sites, including schools
- Encouraging residents to cut food waste, increase composting and take part in improved recycling
- Making council buildings and vehicles meet environmental standards
- Improving cycling infrastructure
- Increasing facilities for charging electric and hybrid cars
- Encouraging businesses and resident behaviour to make 50% of journeys by “active, efficient and sustainable” modes of transport
- Increase biodiversity by increasing the proportion of the borough which is covered by trees by 10%
- Ensure new developments – especially those in urban areas – include requirements for diversity.
The full list of recommendations which is being presented to council leaders is available on the Redbridge website.