1. The coat of arms was previously that of Wanstead and Woodford Borough Council, which was incorporated into Redbridge in 1965, and dates from 1937.
2. The Latin inscription means “By wisdom and courage”
3. The birds (martlets) and lions on the shield refer to Westminster Abbey and Waltham Abbey, which oversaw Wanstead and Woodford.
4. The trees are a reference to Epping Forest
5. The herons are from the logo of the former Wanstead Urban District Council
6. St Mary The Virgin, Wanstead
7. Christchurch, Wanstead – rather confusingly pictured here as red rather than the actual grey.
8. Wanstead drinking fountain, outside Wanstead Underground station.
9. The horse chestnut leaves refer to Redbridge Borough Council.