After years of debates, false starts, U-turns, consultations and planning, today is the day that Pay and Display comes to Wanstead High Street, along with the introduction of residents only parking on many streets.
Time will tell how successful the plan is, but let us hope it can achieve some or all of these outcomes:
- A healthier and less polluted Wanstead*
- A reduction in the number of people driving into Wanstead, parking, and using it as an all-day car park to go into London
- Less congestion at busy times
- An increase in people walking and cycling
- An increase in casual shopping trips to Wanstead High Street, greater revenue for shops, and increased prosperity for traders
- Greater ability for residents to park outside or near their own homes
If those can be achieved, everyone will be happy. Probably.
(*Good point, Me.)