We are delighted to be able to tell you of another group of brilliant Wanstead businesses which are now supporting our anti-plastic straw campaign.
Karen Myers, the prime mover behind the campaign, says: “The U.K. currently discards the highest number of plastic straws in Europe, around 8.5 billion per year. They are used for moments and can take hundreds of years to disintegrate. They end up in landfill, incinerators or littering our oceans where they have a profound impact on the marine environment.”
Wanstead has made “great strides towards eliminating straws” she says, and when you see the latest names on the list you see she has a point.
- The Wanstead Tap will be giving biodegradable straws on request. It says: “Really no excuse anymore not to.”
- Gail’s Bakery have now decided to remove plastic straws from all their branches – and sure enough have now disappeared from their counter in Wanstead
- Time For Tea opposite Snaresbrook station has joined up,
- The Eagle – yes, the Eagle
- The George – and yes, the George!
- Currant cafe is phasing out its current stocks
- Costa has decided to put its straws behind the counter
- And Tesco in Wanstead is also playing its part – removing plastic straws from sale.
Thank you to all these supporters – there are just a few left now – it’s not too late to come on board!