More car charging points on their way

Residents are to be given the chance to get on-street electric car charging points near their homes as Redbridge plans a roll-out of 310 more sites across the borough.

The council has secured more than half a million pounds from the Government’s Office for Zero Emission, which funds 75% of the costs. The remaining 25% will be funded either by the council, or by commercial partners. There are currently 59 publicly available charging points in Redbridge.

The charging points should allow people without off-street parking to consider changing to an electric car. The council said sites would be agreed partly on the basis of feedback from residents.

Wanstead councillor Jo Blackman, who is the Redbridge Cabinet member for the environment, said: “We’re on the cusp of something really exciting with the prospect of the electric vehicle revolution. What’s vital is that we have the proper infrastructure to ensure there are no barriers to people using electric vehicles. 

“The installation of these charge points will provide easy access to people, where off-street parking is not an option for them. As more residents move to more environmentally-friendly travel, communities will inevitably benefit from improved air quality and lower their carbon footprint.”

2 Comments on "More car charging points on their way"


  1. Haven’t seen anyone ever use the one in the high street, same as the “car club” next to it another 2 wasted spaces

Comments are closed.